Recently Added | Topic Directory | New User | Login | About

"Myth v. Fact" Memo on Immigration Reform by Senator Jeff Sessions

Posted on 31-Jan-2014
Topics: Effects of Immigration on American Workers  Immigration Reform Lobby  

Special Privileges and Special Paths

MYTH: "THERE SHOULD BE NO SPECIAL PATH TO CITIZENSHIP FOR THOSE WHO HAVE BROKEN OUR IMMIGRATION LAWS.”

Fact: Any path that leads to a green card for someone who is currently ineligible for a green card because they violated U.S. immigration laws, such as the Senate bill, is a special path to citizenship.


MYTH: "THIS IS NOT AMNESTY BECAUSE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS WILL HAVE TO PAY FINES, BACK TAXES, LEARN ENGLISH AND CIVICS, AND PASS BACKGROUND CHECKS.”

Fact: Like the Senate plan, the House plan provides legal status and work authorization first -the fundamental grant of amnesty.


MYTH: "THE 'IMMIGRATION REFORM' DEBATE WILL BE A FULL AND OPEN LEGISLATIVE PROCESS."

Fact: Just as in the Senate, where the sponsor of the bill negotiated in secret for months with lobbyists and special interests, it has been reported that the House "deal" is already being negotiated behind the scenes.


Crushing The Middle Class

MYTH: "A MAJORITY OF AMERICANS SUPPORT IMMIGRATION REFORM.”

Fact: So-called "immigration reform” (amnesty for illegal immigrants and a large increase in foreign Workers) is overwhelmingly opposed by the American public and opposition is growing.


MYTH: "WE NEED A GUEST WORKER PROGRAM TO FILL LABOR SHORTAGES AND JOBS THAT AMERICANS WON'T DO.”

Fact: As soon as illegal immigrants are granted legal status and Work authorization, they will be able to compete for any job anywhere in America we are not simply talking about agricultural workers and roofers. Only 2 percent of immigrants and guest workers to be admitted under the Senate bill, for instance, are doing farm work - the other 98 percent would be Working in every sector of the U.S. economy.

According to reports, House proposals, like the Senate bill, will include a huge influx of foreign workers.


MYTH: "THOSE GRANTED LEGALIZATION WILL HAVE TO BE ABLE TO SUPPORT THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILIES AND WILL NOT HAVE ACCESS TO WELFARE.”

Fact: If illegal immigrants are legalized, they Will become almost instantly eligible for federal welfare benefits if they have U.5.-born children and for payments from state and local governments. These costs will be increased substantially by the future chain migration. (U.S. Senate Budget Committee Minority, June 18, 2013)


MYTH: "'IMMIGRATION REFORM' WILL HELP THE ECONOMY AND STRENGTHEN SOCIAL SECURITY."

Fact:


Shooting Ourselves In The Foot

MYTH: "BORDER SECURITY AND ENFORCEMENT WILL COME FIRST AND NO LEGALIZATION CAN HAPPEN UNLESS TRIGGERS HAVE BEEN IMPLEMENTED.”

Fact:


MYTH: "PASSING ‘IMMIGRATION REFORM’ AND FIXING THE BORDER WILL END ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION."

Fact: Nothing being discussed in the House, or the bill that passed the Senate, will stop illegal immigration. Sealing the border is only part of the equation — the problem will continue as long as President Obama refuses to comply with our nation's immigration laws and continues his anti»deportation and anti-enforcement policies.


MYTH: "CONGRESS WILL FORCE PRESIDENT OBAMA TO ENFORCE THE TOTALITY OF ANY LAW PASSED."

Fact:

myth v. fact

Sources:

[1] "EXCLUSIVE: SESSIONS ARMS HOUSE REPUBLICANS AGAINST BOEHNER IMMIGRATION PUSH", Matthew Boyle, Breitbart, 29-Jan-2014

Content created by Factwalk users is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. | Terms and Conditions | Contact Support | RSS Feeds | Twitter


ipv6 ready